UTS Partnership Services for Purchasing
Universal Traffic Service does more of the things you want from a business partner, even in areas beyond shipping and receiving. Let us take away some of your headaches.
A decision to partner with UTS adds purchasing services that include:
- More oversight of your freight charges. UTS notifies you any time a carrier adjusts the freight charge, and why. After delivery, we audit the charges more thoroughly than other providers and do the work of reversing invalid charges. (See below.)
- Accurate rates even for density freight. Carriers and other providers do not return density rates. UTS does.
- Comprehensive inbound shipment management. Inbound shipments are assigned to the ranked carrier and actively managed from pickup through delivery. UTS follows up with suppliers that do not follow your routing instructions and asks for compliance going forward. We also report non-compliant shipments to you.
- Track shipments in real time.
- Ways to share shipment status information with stakeholders.
- Proactive notification of a transit issue. Our active shipment management uncovers transit problems up to 24 hours sooner than standard tracing services.
- Our online tools help you compare rates, service levels, and on-time performance across the LTL marketplace.
- An automated procurement process for truckloads and expedites. This ensures every shipment goes to the best available carrier based on your rankings.
- Proactive notification when a mode change offers a lower rate.
- Proactive notification when we believe we can negotiate a discounted rate.
- You can require PO numbers and other information with every shipment.
- Detailed reporting on carrier accessorials, including Weight & Inspection penalties.
- Online access to shipping documents, records, and reports for two years.
- Spreadsheets with more than 40 fields of information for every shipment, including PO numbers, line haul charges, fuel surcharges, accessorial charges, and stop-off charges.
- Transportation risk management that verifies every carrier used to move your goods has a valid operating authority, safety rating, and insurance coverage.
- Options for insuring goods at their full value (because carriers limit their liability for lost or damaged freight).
- Help to fix recurring problems such as Weight & Inspection fees.
- Consulting services to help you evaluate new sourcing options or transportation costs related to a new facility.
We Verify Every Carrier Charge
We don’t just confirm that every charge is correct.
We also confirm that it is valid.
Most auditing services omit an important aspect of the auditing responsibility. They do not confirm that the carrier is entitled to payment. If the carrier did not perform the service, or charges you for a service you did not order or need, you should not pay the charge.
- If a carrier charges for liftgate service you did not order, and was not needed to pick up or deliver your goods, you should not pay the charge.
- If a carrier inspects your freight and does not find a discrepancy with the bill of lading, you should not be charged a Weight & Inspection fee.
UTS audit services confirm both the validity and the accuracy of each charge:
- We notify you whenever a carrier adjusts your freight charges.
- We investigate every adjustment. This process includes cross-referencing charges against the bill of lading and the original shipment entry. We also dig into product descriptions and connect them back to the NMFC.
- We do the work of reversing invalid charges. For one client, we overturn 90% of the Weight & Inspect fees assessed by their primary carrier.
- If we see a pattern with an issue such as an incorrect product description, we help you fix it and stop the fee going forward.
We find exceptions in 18% of the shipments we audit. Billing exceptions include wrong tariffs, wrong discounts, weight & inspections, and added accessorials.